Effective Date: May 9, 2016
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Personally Identifiable Information That We Collect
We only collect information from you that directly or indirectly identifies you as an individual (
Personally Identifiable Information) when you voluntarily provide it to us.
We do not collect, save or store any Personal Information from visitors to our Site.
Anyone, including those who do not have an account with us, can download our App. However, to use any features of our App you must create an account with us or, if you already have an account, you must log into that account. If you do not have an account with us, our App will not collect any of your Personally Identifiable Information.
To create an account, you must provide the following Personally Identifiable Information through our App: your first and last name, your street address and email address, your phone number and the password you have selected for your account. We collect and store all of this information.
Once you log into your account, our App uses your Personally Identifiable Information to connect you to issues you care about by helping you send timely messages to elected officials when issues you care about are up for a vote. You can use the App to write and send digital messages to elected officials that can also include personal messages. Your name and address will be associated with the information you provide, so the messages you write and send through the App will identify you personally.
Other Information That We Collect
USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
Use of Your Personally Identifiable Information
We use your Personally Identifiable Information:
- To identify your elected officials (based on your street address);
- To identify you to your elected officials as one of their constituents when you use the App to contact them;
- To manage your account and to provide you with support and ongoing access to your account;
- To track your use of our App, which will help us to provide, maintain, optimize and improve the App, including, without limitation, to prevent abuse of our App, address software errors, develop new features and provide you support;
- To communicate with you, process and respond to your inquiries and requests and provide you with information and news about our services and changes to our policies;
- To detect, investigate and prevent activities that may violate our Terms of Service or be illegal.
Use of Your Other Information
We may use any other information that you provide to us (i.e., information that is not personally identifiable) for any purposes that we deem appropriate.
SHARING OF YOUR INFORMATION
Sharing of Your Personally Identifiable Information
We will share your name, email address and your full street address with any elected officials that you choose to contact through our App. We will share your first name and city with the organization(s) you chose to send you mobile alerts. Additionally, we may disclose your Personally Identifiable Information:
- To contractors and other third parties that we use to provide our App;
- To a buyer or successor in interest in the event that we participate in a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business or a merger or consolidation with a third party;
- When it is necessary in our opinion to do so to prevent, investigate, detect or prosecute criminal offenses or attacks on the technical integrity of our Site, our App or our network
- To protect our rights, property and safety, including the safety of our other users, employees and other contractors and service providers;
- To comply with any subpoena, court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- To enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including our Terms of Service;
- To defend against legal claims.
Sharing of Your Other Information
We may disclose any other information, including non-identifying aggregated information, that you provide to us without restriction, including to third parties that we hire to analyze aggregated information.
RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION AND CONTROLS OVER YOUR ACCOUNT
Sharing of Your Other Information
At this time, we do not have a policy limiting our retention of your information, including your Personally Identifiable Information, and we may keep it indefinitely.
If you have an account with us, you can view, change or delete any of the Personally Identifiable Information that you communicate to us through our App once you log into your account through our App’s “Edit Profile” feature. However, please note that we need your current street address to identify your elected officials, so if you delete your street address, our App will not function properly.
You can delete your account from our App at any time. If you would like assistance doing so, please email us at email@example.com. Please note that we may retain your Personally Identifiable Information even if you delete your account. You may request that we delete your Personally Identifiable Information by emailing us with that request at firstname.lastname@example.org We will delete your Personally Identifiable Information within 30 days of receiving a request from you to do so unless we deem it necessary not to do so. We will send you an email message when your Personally Identifiable Information has been deleted confirming that your account has been deleted.
OUR RESPONSE TO “DO NOT TRACK” REQUESTS
We do not track your activities on other applications or across the Internet. Therefore, we do not respond to “do not track” requests.
PROTECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
Our Security Measures
We take the following measures to protect your Personally Identifiable Information:
- Password Protection:If you have an account with us, your Personally Identifiable Information and the other information associated with your account are password protected for your privacy and security.
- Secured Sign-In:Your password is not stored as plain text. We use “password hashing”, leveraging the MD5 Hash to save your password. We also use token-based login authentication that implements the JWT library, widely recognized as industry standard, to ensure a secure log-in process. More information on the JWT library is available at: https://jwt.io/.
- Encrypted Data:Other than the messages you send to your elected officials through our App, we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology to encrypt your Personally Identifiable Information before sending it over the internet, whether or not it is sent through APIs.
How You Can Protect Your Security
You can help protect against unauthorized access to your account by choosing a strong password and keeping your password secret at all times. You are responsible for keeping your password secret and confidential.
Please note that no information security practices are 100% secure or immune from circumvention. We can’t give you an absolute guarantee that your Personally Identifiable Information will always be secure. If we learn of a security breach that jeopardizes, or may jeopardize, the security and confidentiality of your Personally Identifiable Information, we will attempt to notify you electronically (subject to any applicable laws) at the email address associated with your account so that you can take appropriate protective steps.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of young children. Our App is not intended for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect Personally Identifiable Information, or any other information, from persons under the age of 13. IF YOU ARE UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE, PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD, USE OR ACCESS OUR APP. In the event that we discover that Personally Identifiable Information has been collected from a person under the age of 13 without verified parental consent in accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, we will immediately delete such information.
THIRD PARTY SERVICES