Protecting PAUSD school quality is a top priority of the Palo Alto school community
Stanford, under its proposed 2018 GUP, proposes to build 550 additional rental units on Quarry Road. Santa Clara County is considering, to address the County’s acute housing shortage, requiring Stanford to build additional high-density rental housing
The Stanford GUP family rental housing, based on County planning staff projections, is expected to generate between 275 (Stanford proposal) and 1445 (County proposal) additional students for PAUSD.
PAUSD , as a Community Funded (“Basic Aid”) school district relies on local property tax dollars to fund a large majority of its operating funds.
Stanford is exempt from paying property taxes on its rental housing units, by CA law.
Adding hundreds of new students with little or now additional property tax revenue would cause permanent PAUSD budget shortfalls, class size increases, and program reductions – irreparably damaging the quality of all PAUSD students, including those coming from Stanford.
Additionally, the Quarry Road housing development is miles from the nearest PAUSD school.
PAUSD board resolution (passed unanimously 11/4/18):
Stanford mitigate the impact on PAUSD of its housing expansion by:
- Annual payments to PAUSD or PiE based on the number of students residing in tax exempt housing owned by Stanford
- Setting aside a parcel of land for PAUSD to build a neighborhood school
- Impact fees to mitigate the cost of building the new school
Palo Alto PTA Council additional mitigation asks of Stanford:
- Contributions to the PAUSD Safe Routes to schools
- Fund the expansion of oversubscribed after school childcare on PAUSD campuses with Stanford staff student body
- Subsidized housing for PAUSD staff and teachers
- Hold community meetings on the Stanford GUP when PAUSD is in session.
Critical: Speak up Now to the County Board of Supervisors and Stanford University!
Speak up with just a tap on your phone
- Update the Click My Cause app on your phone OR Download the FREE Click My Cause app from the App Store
- Create your account, selecting “Palo Alto PTA Council” as your organization.
- Tap “allow” to allow notifications. We will send you a mobile alert every time we need your voice.
- In the app, tap the red “act now” buttons to message the board of supervisors and Stanford.
Sign this petition OR
Copy and paste message below into an email to Stanford and the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors
“As the Stanford GUP adds new housing and hundreds of new students to the Palo Alto school district, please do not dilute the quality of our schools. To protect our public school quality, please include in the Stanford GUP Development Agreement:
1. ANNUAL PAYMENTS to PAUSD or PiE for the cost of educating each student living in Stanford tax exempt housing – NO UNFUNDED STUDENTS
2. Elementary school site near the proposed housing – traffic mitigation, safe routes, neighborhood schools
3. Impact fees for the cost to build the new school
4. Contributions to the PAUSD Safe Routes to schools
5. Fund the expansion of oversubscribed after school childcare on PAUSD campuses with Stanford staff student body
6. Subsidized housing for PAUSD staff and teachers
7. Hold community meetings on the Stanford GUP when PAUSD is in session.
Board of supervisors email addresses:
Stanford email addresses: